Monday, April 09, 2007

more projects on the horizon!

You know what I think is totally odd? Every time I walk to the post office, dry cleaners, or anywhere in my neighborhood in fact, there are soooo many people milling about. Don't they have jobs? Or are they all semi-employed like me? We all know I mill around a lot as well, walking that Kujo dog of mine, running my errands, and waiting to be called for jury duty. Yeah!

I have a couple of projects that will be hitting the air in April. They are both on HGTV. One is 'RV Road Home', which started out as an RV themed project, all about the really cool gadgets in RVs. But it morphed into a show about family fun. It was such a fun shoot though, and being from southern California and always thinking of seeing the country on wheels, with a take-along bathroom, I love the idea of an RV. This premiered last night at 9 pm, but there are 4 episodes, so keep your eyes peeled.

I will also host HGTV's Outdoor Living Special 2007 which premieres April 22 at 9 pm. I love being in primetime! For this show, my co-host, Evan Farmer and I crazy through the Las Vegas Convention center to being you all the cool stuff to make your outdoor area sing- but only public domain songs because no one can afford publishing rights nowadays.

And supposedly tonight is the one-time showing of my interstitials, my first foray into kind of acting with AMC's Date Night event and the movie 'Splash', starring Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah. Yeah, I have to say that I went in to this project as a host, and came out feeling dirty, the kind of dirt a shower and loofah can not match. So I have decided to call it an 'acting' project where the producers forgot to tell me I'd be acting, and did the best job I could. Can I just tell you all that I shot this a little less than a month ago and it went like this:

My agent calls with the good news that I booked this gig. I am told that I will be the host of a dating show, the moderator, if you will, of the conversations being had by those there to date each other. I cancel my vacation to Germany and go for the first day of a 2 day shoot. I get to the set and meet everyone. I am suspicious as there are 4 dudes and me for the afternoon shoot for Splash. Hmmm....my Spidey senses tell me something is up. For some god-forsaken-reason, I think I am a DATER, a person there to pick a date! I call my agent and leave a message. Then I man up and do the shoot, trying to pull my strength from the core of the earth to not piss myself off too much for getting swindled.

The next day, my agent calls and says I am the host, not a dater. He has even verified this with the producer. So I take it upon myself to edumakate him on how there are 4 dudes, and me. And the producers have asked me to choose one. I told them I didn't want to choose one, I didn't want any of them. Or I could pretend these men turned me into a lover of women and I would out myself on TV that afternoon. Think of the drama. both these ideas were dismissed and I hated the project, but I finished it with as much professionalism as I could. I hear it turned out well, but I have to say this project was one of the worst experiences of my career. It has been a while since I have felt so disrespected and disregarded as I did with this one, but oh well. I did my job and that is all I can do. I'll know better for next time!

But some good news! I may have a new show on the horizon! I won't jinx it, but let me tell you, I am sooo excited about it!

3 comments:

Mike "Mooch" said...

Oddly enough, I was watching a bit of Splash tonight and saw you on it Chi-lan. You definitely didn't look happy to be a part of it, and those tools they had you paired up with were downright creepy. I think my favorite moment had to be when you asked that dude to screech like Daryl Hannah, which he did, and you were like "Riiiggghhht."
Sorry you were swindled into such an awkward situation. A thousand pox's upon AMC and their accursed "Date Night"! May they burn in the 7th level of hell reserved only for lawyers and lazy Duane Reade employees!

Looking forward to future projects, oh, and your puppy is adorable!

Brent said...

I'm glad you are chugging along like Tarzan, swinging from job to job... welcome to the world of semi-self employed. I guess the need to stay busy also facilitates the taking of some stinkers. When I did temp jobs, I would get a really moronic one every now and then... I would be embarrassed and would need to remind myself that it was a paycheck and that better things where on the horizon.

I won't Jinx your new show.. but send you good karma and hope you are a steady fixure on TV. Too bad about your vacation to Germany. You travel there about like I do to Indonesia.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason aka Dark Magician 25 said...

Haha you got stuck as the host, sorry but i find that a bit on the funny side. I've been trying to catch you on the reels channel or whatever it is on direct TV. I know that sounds very cruel in a sense but i only get to watch it on the weekends and well its been a long week so far.

Congrats on all your projects though, and I still hold firm that if I ever make out to where you are I want to work with you on a project. Yeah sounds creepy but hey im graduating this summer from my college and hopefully going to grad school at the Savanna College of Art and Design, ever heard of it??

Anyway congrats on the projects, good luck in the future and keep on keeping on.